SilverStripe is looking for a Development Manager to join our awesome Wellington-based team.
What you will be doing
As a Development Manager, you will be a key member of our People & Culture team, assisting with recruitment, staff retention and ensuring our technical teams are well-balanced. You will be responsible for providing processes and an environment that makes it easy for teams to do their best work, so we can continue to deliver the high quality results that our clients expect.
You will act as an advisor, coach and career counsellor to individual team members of all skill levels to evaluate their performance and provide input and guidance as necessary. You will work collaboratively with staff members to design and implement individual performance development plans with goals that are relevant and in-line with SilverStripe’s goals and values.
A large part of the role involves helping to run SilverStripe Community of Practice events, including Hack Days, Show & Tells and Lunch & Learns. As these events are key to ongoing learning and development, you will ensure a high level of staff engagement by making sure the activities are of real value to team members. To further encourage development, you will lead the SilverStripe mentoring programme by training, matching and assisting mentors and mentees.
Who we are looking for
We look for well-rounded people who:
- Are self-directed — you take ownership and have an “I’ve got this” attitude
- Thrive in a team-driven, fast-paced work environment — your team can rely on you to pitch in and help them get over the line every time
- Has proven experience in a leadership role.
Here are the specifics of what we’re looking for:
- Experience in coaching individuals and teams
- A good understanding of why and how people learn
- A clear communicator, open-minded and flexible
- An ability to help others understand the importance of the company vision and values, coupled with the ability to translate these into day-to-day activities and behaviours
- Ability to empower others to make decisions
- Self-awareness, self-regulation and motivation
- Confidence in dealing with difficult situations and skilled conflict resolution
- An ability to connect with people from different backgrounds and help build high-performing teams.
We're family friendly
SilverStripe is a grown-up company. We want to create an environment that has all the excitement and intellectual stimulation of a startup but with a sensible business model. We don't have ninjas and rock stars working 80-hour weeks. We do enjoy working with smart people in an efficient and disciplined manner. Many SilverStripers have young families and we strive to support that.
We take professional development seriously
There are plenty of opportunities for learning — we pay for SilverStripers to attend conferences and training; we have an awesome mentoring programme; we hold our own monthly hackdays; and we encourage knowledge sharing through regular internal events likes “Show & Tells”, "Lunch & Learns" and “Guild Meetings”. We've got something on every week. Mostly, you will be working alongside super smart designers, developers and scrum masters. They’ll share their love of the craft with you and help you grow your skills.
We have an awesome culture
SilverStripe is big on things like building trusting relationships, using technology to solve important problems, and helping others reach their goals. We actively foster a culture that supports our core values of honesty over comfort; adaptability over guarantees; collaboration over control; continuous improvement over perfection; and camaraderie over corporate culture. Our culture sets us apart — it’s a key reason that brings people to SilverStripe and keeps them here.